Accessible bathrooms are essential not just for people with disabilities or the elderly but for every member of a household because they will provide you with an environment that is both comfortable and safe. Specific designs will help make your bathroom more accessible, so make sure you consider the following:
- Dimensions of the bathroom door and fixture placement. You will need to be careful with measurements to ensure your bathroom is wheelchair accessible and carefully consider the order of your toilet, shower, and sink. You have to be clever with fixture placement and need to make sure a wheelchair can fit through the bathroom door. The toilet should be positioned between two support bars to sit down and stand back up quickly.
- Install a handicap shower bench and curb-less shower stall. A shower bench can make a big difference by providing a secure surface where individuals can rest. Personal grooming tasks can also be completed more easily with a shower bench, so your shower needs to be large enough to have this feature. Additionally, your shower should not have a curb and if this is not a possibility, make sure you have a rubber curb that a wheelchair can rollover.
- Install a hand-held shower head and stability grab bar. A hand-held showerhead will increase accessibility so those with disabilities can maintain autonomy while showering. Grab bars are equally important because they will provide people with the stability to get in and out of the shower safely. You can choose a coloured grab bar that matches other components of your bathroom so that your space does not have an institutional look.
- Make sure there is clearance beneath the sink. Without clearance under the sink, the person’s legs will bump into the fixture. Hanging the bathroom mirror low is another important step you must take so that individuals in wheelchairs can see themselves.
- This will allow those in wheelchairs to roll up easily to the sink, and they will be able to access the faucet comfortably.
- Install the right flooring. You must select slip-resistant tile flooring to help prevent dangerous accidents when a floor is wet. Slip-resistant flooring will decrease the risk of slip and falls, and you will have several design possibilities to choose from, so the appearance of your bathroom will be very appealing.
Here at JJ Cabinet Warehouse, we understand the importance of bathroom accessibility and will help you create a beautiful bathroom that is also safe. Our team will listen to your needs and help you select the correct items so if you are interested in a bathroom renovation winnipeg, contact us today!